5 Tips for Electrical Safety

When it comes to electrical safety around the home, there are some common risks that you may be overlooking.  Here are some safety tips to help reduce any risk you may have in your home.

  1. Avoid storing objects on top of appliances like the microwave because it can block circulation. More than half of all accidental house fires start in the kitchen. Government statistics show that the largest number of accidental reported fires caused by electricity in the home is due to people misusing electrical cooking appliances, including microwaves.
  2. Make sure that your plug sockets are not overloaded. Some people use extension cords to be able to plug in multiple appliances. We do not recommend the use of household extension cords, except for the occasional low voltage TABLE CORD. We do not recommend the use of extension cords for high voltage appliances. Also, be sure to check that your plugs and sockets are not damaged and are in good condition.
  3. If you think someone is suffering from extreme electric shock, approach with caution. It may not be clear at first, but the first step if you think someone is suffering would be to separate the person from source of electricity as safely and quickly as possible. But, never touch them. Unplugging the source is usually the best option.
  4. Don’t use electrical equipment outdoors unless you have ensured that the ground is dry. Though this may seem simple, water and electricity really don’t mix well. So, if there is moisture or dew on the grass or ground, this can lead to a serious accident. The risk of electric shock is higher when there is water in the picture.
  5. Make sure any outdoor lighting is weatherproof. Like mentioned before, water and electricity can be a very dangerous mixture, so it is vital that your outdoor lighting is weatherproof. If garden lighting is improperly installed, it can create a serious safety risk.