Did you know that there are more than 30,000 non-fatal shock accidents each year, according to the Electrical Safety Foundation International? Here at Eaton Electric Company, we want to prevent you from becoming a statistic. Here are a few ways you can avoid electric shock:
- Turn off the power – If you are working on electrical devices in your home, always turn off the identical circuit breaker and test to make sure the circuit is dead before proceeding with your work.
- Know the electricity requirements of your house – Familiarize yourself with the correct circuit breakers and fuses that your home requires. Never replace an existing breaker with the next larger size just because it keeps tripping. A breaker trips for a good reason, and it should be checked out by a licensed electrician before arbitrarily upsizing it.
- Replace old electrical equipment – If you’re still holding on to that old toaster that sparks up every time you plug it in, it’s time to let go. Older appliances were not double insulated like many modern appliances are today. If you’re receiving a shock from an appliance, discard it or have it repaired by an authorized repairman.
- Keep electricity away from water – Hopefully you all know that electricity and water don’t mix well. Try to keep all electronics away from showers and sinks. If you use your blow dryer in the bathroom, make sure to stow it away afterwards. Be sure that all outlets near kitchen counters and bath vanities are GFCI protected.
- Lose the jewelry and watches when working with electricity – We recommend that unqualified personnel do not work around live electric circuits, but if you’re comfortable working in the breaker box or fuse box or even just replacing a light bulb, remove all metal rings, bracelets and watches. Metal is an excellent conductor and wearing it increases your chances of getting shocked significantly.