It is the season for decorating your homes and offices with Christmas light displays, so here are a few tips to make them safe and trouble-free.
For your outdoor displays:
- Be sure to plug into GFI-protected outlets.
- Use outdoor-rated extension cords and cover connection points with ziplock baggies to protect from water intrusion and unwanted nuisance tripping for the GFI detectors.
- For multiple cord connections, extension cords with weatherproof multiport ends are available with a stake mount that gest the connection point up off the ground and out of the wet lawn or leaf mulch.
For your indoor displays:
- Follow directions on light packages regarding the number of light strings to connect together.
- Use new indoor –type extension cords and inspect your used extensions and multiplugs for any damaged spots from overhearing or pet chewing.
- Keep Christmas trees watered and turn off your indoor lights when you leave the house or retire for the evening.