Tis the season for decorating your homes and businesses with Christmas light displays so a few quick tips in making them safe and trouble free.
For your outdoor displays-
- Be sure to plug into GFI protected outlets
- Use outdoor rated extension cords and cover connection points with a zip lock baggies to protect from water intrusion and unwanted nuisance tripping of the GFI detectors
- For multiple cord connections I extension cords with weatherproof multiport ends are available with a stake mount that gets the connection point up off the ground and out of the wet lawn or leaf mulch
For indoor displays –
- Follow directions on light packages regarding the number of light strings to connect together.
- Use new indoor type extension cords and inspect your used extensions and multiplugs for any damaged spots from overheating or pet chewing.
- Keep Christmas trees watered and turn off your indoor lights when your leave the house or retire for the evening