We’re coming up on the most wonderful time of the year: the holiday season! The winter holidays are a time for spending quality time with family and friends, enjoying hot chocolate and hearty meals, and relaxing. But this time of year can also prove to be hazardous in regards to electrical fires.
Statistics show that electrical fires are more common during the holiday season, mostly because there are more opportunities for fires to start. You can avoid becoming a statistic this winter by taking strenuous safety precautions and following these tips:
- Hire a professional to install your holiday decorations to ensure proper and safe installation of lights
- If you must install your own lights, check that the voltage and type of bulbs you are using are compatible
- Use a surge protector
- Never use indoor light sets for outdoor use
- Carefully check how many bulbs you can connect for screw-in light sets; you should typically connect no more than 50
- Make sure you do not connect too many strands of light sets together, which might overload your circuit
- Water your Christmas tree every day
- Keep candles at least a foot away from anything flammable
If you keep this advice in mind, you should enjoy your holiday season safely and securely, all while enjoying your holiday decorations.