Sometimes, we encounter unwanted visitors such as rats, squirrels, raccoons and mice who, unintentionally, can cause us electrical issues at home. One thing rodents have in common is that they love chewing our wiring system. The reason why they enjoy doing this is because their front teeth never finish growing. Therefore, the chewing controls the length of their incisors.
As a homeowner myself, I understand how frustrating this situation can be. When it comes to damages, a rodent can cause permanent appliance damage by generating power surges and arcing. If chewing is left unchecked, rodents can chew your whole electrical system; and they can cause a fire because they leave your wires exposed.
Although I’m not a rodent hunter, I have suggestions that might help you prevent this from happening:
- Limit access into crawl spaces under the home by sealing openings or using wire hardware cloth over ventilation opening.
- Limit access into attic spaces by assuring that soffits and exterior roof train have no holes for rodent entry.
- Limit access to your roof. In other words, get rid of overhanging branches that provide rodents with the opportunity to climb or jump onto your roof.
- Leave your trash outside your home and in a separate container.
- Don’t leave dog and/or cat food outside as a convenient food source for unwanted animals.
If you already have rodents in your home, the best thing you can do is to call pest control so they can take care of them. After that, it is very important to fix your wiring. If this is the case, please don’t hesitate to contact me.