Overloaded outlets

Here at Eaton Electric Company, we want your homes to be safe. That is why I want to share a recurring problem I’ve been seeing recently at some of my jobs. outlet1                               outlet2

The outlets above are burned out as a result of loose connections at the side terminal and overloading. Overloading occurs when you plug in high wattage items, such as space heaters and vacuum cleaners with a boost power setting, into general convenience outlets that aren’t designed to handle it. This problem can actually lead to a household fire if the electrical system isn’t properly installed, so it’s important to do your best to prevent it.

I recommend determining the amperage rating of the circuits supplying power to an outlet before plugging anything into it. If you do need to plug in a space heater on those chilly nights, only plug them in to outlets connected to 20 amp circuits. Also, be wary of plugging too many items in the same outlet for this can also cause overloading.

Keep these things in mind next time you need to plug something in or maybe a picture of your outlet will be added to my collection!