Did you plug in your hair dryer and all of a sudden all the lights in the house turned off? Or maybe it was your space heater or toaster that turned off any electricity in your home? Whatever it is, your home’s circuit breaker has most likely tripped. Normally, this is caused from an overloaded circuit due to an appliance drawing more amperage than the circuit breaker is rated for. When this happens, the breaker trips and turns off any electricity stream as a hazard precaution against fires or overheating. So as frustrating as it may be, it is for our own good. However, there are ways to prevent these frustrations from happening in your home. Here are a few tips:
- Know your limits: check to see what your circuit’s amperage limit is to be sure not to go over it by plugging in items with high amps that exceed this limit. It is the little number on the breaker handle, usually 15 or 20 amps.
- Don’t plug in too many items into one outlet: too much demand on any given outlet can cause an overload. Sometimes there are many outlets that are connected to one circuit and can also cause an electrical circuit overload therefore, you should try to space out your biggest energy users.
- Use surge protectors: power strips with surge protection are a great help but there are also whole-house surge protectors to guard your entire electric system.
- Upgrade your fuse box: sometimes your fuse box is simply outdated and can’t handle the high demand that many modern appliances need. Calling an electrician can help you determine if this should be done.
Even with these tips, sometimes circuit breaker trips are hard to eliminate all together. Having frequent circuit breaker trips can be not only a hassle but also a safety concern. If you find yourself having an abnormal amount of circuit trips, you can always be more safe than sorry and contact us for an inspection to make sure there’s not a more serious problem at hand.