Tips for electrical safety in your bathroom

Water is a great conductor of electricity. Using electrical appliances in your bathroom might be convenient, but it can be extremely dangerous.

If you don’t put them in a safe spot or take the appropriate precautions, electrical products can lead to severe injuries like burns, heart arrhythmia, nervous system damage and death. For this reason, I’ve gathered some dos and don’ts to increase bathroom safety at your home.

First of all, remember that mixing water with electricity is very dangerous so every time you’re going to touch an electrical switch or use an electrical product like a hairdryer, a hair iron or an electrical razor, you should completely dry your hands. A good tip for this is to always keep a towel nearby so you can prevent an accident.

Avoid having portable heaters in your bathroom, or install a fixed heating fan or heat lamp. If you chose to have a portable heater in your bathroom, make sure that the outlet is a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) outlet because it reduces the risk of serious injury or electrocution by automatically shutting down improperly grounded current when sensed.

In general, all outlets in the bathroom are required to be GFCI outlets by the current National Electric Code (NEC). These outlets should be served by a 20 AMP and should be tested as per manufacture instructions. If you use recessed lights in your shower area, use vapor-tight recessed trims. Make sure that your electrical sockets are not close to the shower. Be sure to leave electric appliances unplugged when not in use. Finally, if you have children at home, I suggest you educate them on this topic so they can also know how to be cautious.